Saturday, July 20, 2013

Vacation: Austrian Style

In keeping with wanting to experience true Austrian culture, we planned a four day vacation in the Austrian city of Bregenz on the shores of the Bodensee (Lake Constance in English). This is a popular vacation spot for Austrians and it didn't take long to see why. The lake is enormous and very clear, making it great for boating, swimming and just enjoying. We took advantage of the flat coastline and rented bikes to explore a 50K loop through Austria, Switzerland  and Germany (with the help of a ferry boat). To bike the entire coastline would have taken much longer than a day.

Cycling over the Rhein River (it feeds and leaves the Bodensee)

Enjoying the Austrian countryside

Welcome to Switzerland!

Rorschach, Switzerland - nice spot for a break and a card game

Lindau, Germany


In addition to the bike ride we enjoyed strolling the promenade,



putting our feet in the Bodensee,



playing mini-golf,



visiting the Pfander mountain for some terrific views (despite the haze),




taking a boat to the beautiful garden island of Mainau,







enjoying cake time,



and just taking it easy. In conclusion, I think Austrians have a delightful way of vacationing!


3 comments:

  1. I just love your blog! How fantastic! Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It was a fun several days. :-) Think I'm game to try more of the KATY trail this fall now.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Katie! Such beautiful photos! I've really enjoyed reading your blogs . . . and salivating over the food! There sure is a lot of cake there -- but then, I guess that's why there are so many opportunities to hike and bike! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete