This all started back when I was in elementary school. I grew up loving both the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and the TV show inspired by her stories. And while the books get about 90% and the TV show only 5% of the historical facts right, they are 100% enjoyable and fascinating glimpses into a world gone by.
 |
| My "new" Little House Books! |
Back in March I received some birthday money (thank you again Mom, Dad, Grandma & Grandpa Baeth!) and bought the complete set of Little House books - the yellow boxed set from my childhood, now an antique. In tandem with my dear friend, Karen, I started rereading the series as we prepared to visit the two nearest Laura sites to KC -
Independence, Kansas (
Little House on the Prairie) and
Mansfield, Missouri (Laura's final home at Rocky Ridge Farm) as part of an epic September road trip.
 |
| Laura sites throughout the midwest |
Just a few weeks ago while chatting about this trip with another dear friend, Jenny, a separate plan hatched to visit
De Smet, South Dakota - site of several books in the series (
By The Shores of Silver Lake,
The Long Winter,
Little Town on the Prairie, and
These Happy Golden Years). While a lengthy 8 hour drive from my house, it was only a 4.5 hour drive from her place in Omaha. So an August weekend excursion was planned.
 |
| Which set of books did you grow up reading? |
Over the next several posts I'll take you along as I visit De Smet, South Dakota; Independence, Kansas and Mansfield, Missouri. Enjoy!
Good start! Looking forward to more.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the map! :)
ReplyDelete