Sunday, December 2, 2012

Addicted to Flute Choir

Sølvvinden at UPS Spring 1997
Sølvvinden at PLU Spring 1999
It's true, I'm addicted to flute choirs. It all started back in 1996 when I went off to college and joined  Sølvvinden and was invited to be the only freshman in the "elite" SilverSounds flute ensemble. Rae Terpenning was our teacher, director, and mentor and remains the model of who I strive to be in so many ways. I have so many cherished memories from these years together - performing for THE Crown Prince of Norway, eating chocolate tea cups...

SilverSounds at my PLU degree recital April 2000
SilverSounds mini reunion at PLU Spring 2004

While the friendships made performing in these groups are still strong today, I long for the day when one of us is a millionaire and we can afford a fantastic reunion together! But for now, Facebook works.

On my wedding day - August 2000
After completing graduate school I longed for the friendships and community that only a flute choir can provide...

Silver Song Flute Studio Ensemble December 2004




 So while in Lincoln I brought my little studio 
 together for a Christmas flute choir,





Flutes of Grace December 2004





 
I formed and directed an adult flute ensemble at my church,

HCFC Summer 2004




and joined the newly formed Heartland Community Flute Choir an hour away in Omaha (mostly to play with a dear friend again).







Now that my Silver Song Studio (you've probably figured out why the studio is named as such now) is fully grown, I of course have flute ensembles! I love working with my adults, middle school, high school students. It is an endless source of joy for me to see my students improve, rise to every challenge, and most of all to become addicted to flute choir.

Silver Song Studio Caroling at Crown Center November 2012

4 comments:

  1. Very cool, Katie. You are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I especially think of you in December Amanda... 1 - it's your birth month and 2 - I can't watch "White Christmas" and not remember out duet (with feather boas AND choreography!). So glad that was in the dark ages before camera phones. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Your ability and success has been by far a great trip and experience for you. Your ability & talent never ceases to amaze me and am so proud of all you have accomplished. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always so impressed with all you do for your students. They are lucky and blessed to have you as a teacher. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete