Sunday, January 13, 2013

Silence

I have been told on many occasions that I was born old. Someone even once said I was born 40 which would make me 74 years old and closing in on 75. I don't mind having an old soul and I was lucky enough to marry another old soul, so life is good.

I have, however, often wondered if I was born in the right century. The modern world, with its never ending hustle and bustle, doesn't feel right to me most days. There is just so much noise, have you noticed? Everywhere you go it seems places are piping in sound to keep us feeling a certain way. Most days it just makes me want to escape. For several years in my youth I really wanted to grow up to be a hermit, on a private island, off the coast of British Columbia in Canada, reachable only by seaplane.

I love silence. Even when performing, my favorite moment is the silence right before the applause. I relish moments of silence that show your comfort with yourself and those around you. To be able to sit in silence either for reflection or with another person without anxiety or concern is beautiful.

So I leave this post with a couple pictures from my recent visit home to Washington - a place of silence and beauty, and sadly of noise as well.


Twilight looking across Elliot Bay to the Olympic Mountains
Mt. Rainer seen through the Port of Seattle

6 comments:

  1. I too enjoy peace and quiet! It is soothing and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are just so similar. I too enjoy the silence & hate all the "noise" everywhere you go. My Dad used to always tell me I was born in the wrong century. Said I should have been born in the 1800's that I would have been a perfect pioneer! I agreed with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dad was correct. Even with Facepage, IBook, etc. missing, you would have been a great Rosie the Riveter in WWII or flapper in the 20's. You're great right now but b&w and radio drama days would have been your "zone". Daddy-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daddy-O. Though that second anonymous comment wasn't me. :-)

      Delete
  4. I also prefer "the sounds of silence." Unfortunately, I am a minority of one in our house. I was so happy when everybody went back to work and school after Christmas because, at last, the television was OFF during the day! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the TV being off!! Unless its Downton Abbey time, of course. ;-)

      Delete