![]() |
| 2013 - Lee's Summit, Missouri |
So today I find myself looking back on a few of my memorable snow experiences...
![]() |
| 1986 - Crystal Lake, Illinois |
As a child in Chicago I remember building snow forts and caves in the huge berms left by the plows and sledding with a real toboggan (thanks Aunt Jane and Uncle Ed!). While at school, recess was the best! We'd slide down huge snow piles and create snow sculptures of horses to "ride" until they collapsed. In true "Christmas Story" fashion I often missed the bus home because I could never get all my snow clothing on fast enough... "I can't put my arms down!"
![]() |
| 1985 - Schaumburg, Illinois |
As a teen in Federal Way I remember a year when we didn't have school F-O-R-E-V-E-R due to snow! It really must have been a week at least... maybe we had 6-8 inches of snow. The greater Seattle metro does not handle snow well. I think there are 4 slow plows for the entire area and 3 of them work in Seattle only. The hill my parents house is on provided lots of family entertainment during snow storms. We'd all rush to the window to watch and take bets on the cars trying to drive up that hill... it was always a safe bet that they wouldn't make it up. If we did need to get somewhere, we could always count on Dad to get us there. Hardened by decades of Indiana winters my dad is the best snow driver, even on the great hills of western Washington.
![]() |
| 1996 - Federal Way, Washington |
After Nick and I were married our first winter in Nebraska was an extreme welcome to life on the plains. I remember trying in vain to get the car parked on the correct side of the street to avoid being plowed in, trudging into campus through over a foot of snow in weather so cold the tears I shed in misery froze to my face, the radiators in our first apartment ran so hot that we had to leave the windows open causing it to snow in the apartment, the thunder snow that knocked things off the window sills... Ah, good times!
![]() |
| 2000 - Lincoln, Nebraska |
Here in Missouri I will probably always remember this winter - Zizzi and I toughing it out together without Nick. I will also never forget the Christmas we were snowed in while Nick's parents were visiting. I think it took the plows nearly a week to get to us... hope it doesn't take that long this time!
Today I am thankful for electricity (please don't go out!) and not having to go anywhere. Now it's time to cozy up with another cup of tea, my cat, and some Foyle's War on Netflix.
![]() |
| 2013 - Lee's Summit, Missouri |






What a great read! Thanks for those memories and pictures!
ReplyDeleteLOVE all the old pictures and the stories that went with them! I remember that toboggan! Also all the problems you two had in that first apartment. The "young" can always handle anything!
ReplyDeleteYes, that hill at your Mom & Dads is a real challenge when it snows!